Tuesday, February 23, 2010

White Bean Crostini and Blue Cheese, Walnut,cranberry Salad $7.12

Yeah!! Another salad! I am so happy that Kim is so cool with having salad often. Its funny because cool and interesting salads are what I usually order when dining out, and now I just create them at home, and Oh My Godness, for a fraction of the cost. This salad was actually Kims idea, and I am happy I used up blue cheese from last week and walnuts. I also wanted to get even more nutrients in the meal, so I added a whitebean crostini to the mix. The white beans I had boiled and frozen two weeks ago, when we had pasta with beans and spinach.
I also had a bit of leftover meatloaf and potatoes, which Michael had along with the salad. The "bean crostini" was in no way passing his lips, however, it gave me an idea for next time I make "mystery" mashed potatoes. I guarantee he will never know.....

Salad
2 heads of romaine chopped or mixed bag of greens or spinach $1.50
4 ounces blue cheese .99
1/2 cup cranberries .60
1/4 cup chopped walnuts.40
1 cup raspberry vinegrette.50
Combine in salad bowl and mix in dressing

White Bean Crostini 16 oz can of white beans.69
1 tsp olive oil.20
1 tsp rosemary.05
salt to taste
Total $7.12
Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender

Loaf of french or Itaian bread sliced thiny$1.99
1/4 cup olive oil .20
brush oil on bread and toast at 300 for 10 minutes or until crisp
spread bean dip on each toasted slice of bread

4 comments:

  1. Im doing this salad again tomorrow, and trying it with mixed field greens instead of romaine. I loved romaine, but think the combo of ingredients in this salad would do better with a more delicate mix of greens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll see I used spinach in the salad in the picture. I love the combo of Raspberry Vineagrette with spinach! Perfect combo for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, where did you get your raspberry vinegrette, I was eyeing one at Trader Joes today for $1.99

    ReplyDelete
  4. I used a great vinegrette that I had on hand. It's from a local company called "Here's To The Cook". Some guy sells it at a farmers market somewhere on the north side...maybe Arlington Heights?
    BUT... if I didn't have this one, there is a Grandessa line Rasp. Vin. at my Aldi. It looked OK, a good separation of oil and rasp. flavor, so I think I'll give it a try.

    ReplyDelete