Sunday, March 7, 2010

Pasta with Chickpeas $6.35

Pasta with chickpeas is probably considered an odd combination in America, but it is a very common dish in Italy. I have decided to combine the chickpeas with tomatoes to add more flavor. The dish is rich in fiber as well as protein. Im very excited to get reaction from Kim about this dish. Rosemary is optional, I think it is great compliment to the garbanzo beans.

1 medium onion finely chopped .40
2 large garlic cloves(minced).20
2 fresh rosemary sprigs.10
2 tsp olive oil.10
10 oz cherry tomatoes(cut in halves)$1.99
1 cup chicken broth.59
2 cans chickpeas(garbanzo beans)$1.98
1 lb whole wheat short chunky noodles(penne, orrechiette, fusili).99
salt and pepper
parmesean cheese optional
heat oil
add onion, garlic, half the tomatoes, half the chickpeas, rosemary sprigs
saute with low heat until onions are soft
remove from heat(remove rosemary sprigs)
put mixture in blender and puree

Return to skillet add chicken broth and remain chickpeas and tomatoes, add salt and pepper to taste
meanwhile cook pasta according to instruction
when cooked, drain pasta and toss with chickpeas sauce.
top with parm cheese(optional)
serve immediately
yummoooo!!!

In case you need proof that the Heron family also enjoyed, here's our family picture...
Kim

2 comments:

  1. I know you don't believe this, but I'm actually looking forward to this meal tonight. Call me crazy - (I've already cooked something else for the 6 & 3 year olds)...I can't wait to tell you what I think of it.
    But, in reading the recipe, do we blend the first 1/2 of the tomatoes - I was envisioning a white/creamy colored sauce with red tomatoes in it, not a pink sauce as will happen with the tomatoes being in it... Just curious.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  2. SURPRISE! A good deal here at the Heron house ... we enjoyed it A LOT. We will make again. seriously, I had a back up meal ready to go in the frig - I had zero expectations for this meal. and... it's a keeper! Nice job B!This is trust!!!

    ReplyDelete