Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Minestrone Soup $3.38


Minestrone Soup a staple in our home growing up, and a staple in many, many Italian restaurants, however I have never made it before. I checked online for a bunch of recipes, and some are very similar and some vary a lot. i am going to give it a shot, and I may tweak it along the way.

1 medium onion diced .20
2 celery stocks sliced .10
2 carrots diced .10
2 garlic cloves .10
1 medium potato(cubed in small pieces).30
1/4 olive oil.25
2 pieces bacon .20
1 bayleaf .05
1 can 16 oz kidneybeans.99
1 can 16 oz whitebeans .99
6 cups water
2 boulion cubes .10

fry 2 pieces bacon
Heat oil low
add garlic, onion, celery carrot
saute on low until onion glassy
crumble up bacon and add to mix with bacon juice
in a big pot, let 6 cups water come to a boil
add boulion cubes and disolve, add potatoes
add bacon, onions, garlic, celery, carrot and bayleaf to pot, and simmer on low for 40 minutes

remove from heat
strain vegetables, potatoes and bacon(discard bayleaf)
take half that mixture and puree in blender or food processor
add all back in the soup pot
add beans and simmer 20 more minutes
serve
Ill let you know how goes it

This is the Heron version of the soup - we actually enjoyed it a great deal.  We might have enjoyed some spinach in it - but probably only we adults.  Ellie actually enjoyed this soup as well as Joe and I did.  You'll see I needed some color in my soup - my recipe is in the comment section - but then to that I added 1 drained can of tomatoes and 1/2 pound of frozen green beans.  YUMMY!

2 comments:

  1. Here's what I was planning:
    2 T evoo
    2 slices bacon, chopped
    1 onion
    2 celery
    4 cloves garlic
    1 bay leaf
    1 can cannellini beans
    1 can kidney beans
    6 cups chicken broth
    2 c water
    3/4 c D'italini pasta
    same basic cooking except no blendering... maybe that thickens it a bit? Never thought of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My thoughts- I thought it was kinda good. I am not a tomato soup based fan, and so that is why I omited tomatos, and I liked it better this way. I will next time include spinach, or cabbage or some kind of leafy vegetable. Also, I personally liked pureeing half of the soup because I dont really like cooked carrots or celery. Oh and I completely forgot the white beans, but honestly kidney were probably enough.

    ReplyDelete