Thursday, October 7, 2010

Spaghetti Squash Arrabiatta $4.52




A flourless pasta you say? yep. Ive been thinking of trying spaghetti squash for a long time, and I finally did! It was interesting, and definitely light tasting. I love pasta, always have. I Grew up eating pasta 2 to 3 times a week, but truthfully I cant do that anymore. Carbs are good because they are fuel for the body, but only in moderation. I always feel kind of weighed down after a pasta meal, but not this time. The squash "noodles" kind of take on the flavor of the sauce, which can be good or bad, depending on how good the sauce is. I went with my favorite sauce- arrabbiata, because I knew if I didnt really like the texture of the noodle, the sauce would keep my taste buds happy. I was right. I did make the sauce really spicy for myself and the noodles definitely got over powered by the heat, but I think that is why I liked the squash.
I had to look at the internet for instructions to make the squash, and I had a few options but I went for baking the squash not boiling.

Ingredients needed:
2 medium size spaghetti squash $2,29(purchased at my local grocery store)
2 tablespoons olive oil .60
1 can 15 ounce crushed tomato .69
1 can 10 ounce tomato sauce .49
3 cloves garlic minced .25
1 tablespoon red pepper flakes .10
salt and pepper to taste .10

for squash:
preheat oven to 375
slice both squash in half lengthwise, scoop out the insides including all the seads
drizze with tabespoon olive oil(1 per squash) and season with salt and pepper
place in baking pan or cookie sheet and bake for 30-40 minutes
remove from oven when the sides can easily be separated, scoop out all the "spaghetti" and with a fork or your hand separate the noodles because they clump together
leave noodles aside
For the sauce:
in large sauce pan heat oil
add garlic and saute on low(careful not to burn)
add crushed tomatoes and sauce
simmer on low for 30 minutes
add red pepper flakes and simmer 30 more minutes
add salt and pepper to taste

turn off heat, add squash to sauce and saute together for a few minutes
serve with parmesean cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment