Thursday, January 14, 2010
Such a boring title for an amazing stew. Given to me by my old neighbor and good friend, this is one of her best friend's stew recipe. LOVE IT! And it's really healthy and low in fat. High in carbs due to healthy veggies and the protein is all driven by how much beef you add... start with what the recipe calls for and add more next time. I'm betting there'll be a next time!
Here ya' go...
about 2 Tbsp flour
1 - 1 1/2 lbs stew meat, cubed
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 can tomato sauce (8 oz)
1 1/2 cans water
1 large sweet onion sliced into large pieces
2 cloves garlic, chopped
3 cups potatoes cubed
1 sweet potato cubed
2 cups sliced carrots
1 cup sliced celery
3-5 beef boullion cubes
1. Heat oil in large dutch oven type pan over high heat - no smoke
2. Cover meat with flour in a ziplock or on your cutting board
3. Brown meat in hot oil, add in onions at end
4. Once browned...add tomato sauce, water, garlic, boullion, basil and thyme
5. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 1 1/2 hours (90 minutes)
6. Add potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots and celery.
7. Simmer, covered, at least another hour... or until dinner time.
Now I've never done it this way, but Barbara asked me to suggest a way to make in the crockpot... here's my best guess ... brown the meat as in 1-3. transfer to crockpot and follow step 4. heat about 3 -4 hours on low, then follow step 5 and return to low for another 3 or more hours. Crunchy potatoes in the stew aren't cool...so be sure to allow enough time. Always keep your crockpot covered.