Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Mediterranean Fish Fillets $6.32

If you know Barbara or me, you know we love Jillian Michaels ... this recipe is from her website for some really yummy fish fillets.  Nutritionally about 225 calories with 7 grams fat, 9 g. carbs and 25 g. protein.  A favorite way to make eating the "fish" (you know the voice and eye roll) more paletable.

2 tsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
1/4 c. dry white wine$1.25
2 cloves garlic .10
2 cups tomatoes, diced .59
8 black olives.30
1/4 tsp. orange zest.05
1/2 tsp salt.02
1/2 tsp fresh ground pepper.02
16 ounces fish - like tilapia or mahi-mahi or halibut$3.99

Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Heat oil in medium non-stick skillet over medium heat - add onion slices, saute until lightly browned (3 minutes).  Add wine and garlic - simmer 30 seconds then stir in tomatoes, olives, and orange zest.  Season with 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp pepper.

Season fish with the remaining salt and pepper - arrange in single layer in a pie pan or baking dish.  Spoon the tomato mixture over the fish and bake, uncovered, until the fish is just cooked through - 10 to 20 minutes depending on thickness of meat.  The fish will flake easily when it is done.

We're plating this with asparagus, which you can cook any number of ways - I'll suggest my personal favorite...

1 Tbsp garlic
1 Tbsp olive oil
enough asparagus for your family

place asparagus in a non-stick frying pan with enough water to cover the bottom - maybe 1/8 to 1/4 inch in pan.  heat over medium heat until the water is boiling, cover and reduce heat to maintain boil for about 4 to 6 minutes - drain excess water add oil and garlic - saute for about 2 minutes - ready to serve.

the directions on the bag of frozen asparagus will work nicely too, though.


~~~

With all the carbs we've had with yesterday's pasta and the soup on Monday we're skipping the bread or starchy stuff tonight - but garlic toast or fresh baguette serves really nicely with this really appetizing-on-the-plate meal.

2 comments:

  1. I made this "dinner" at noon time today for a dear dear friend of mine (my son's Godmother). She enjoyed it, but didn't eat black olives, can you believe I didn't know that ... Good thing it's now noted in here so I can reference it later. Anyway, you'll see in the picture that I post that I served it with a side of whole grain couscous. Simple and nice, probably not necessary, and not something I would have done were it not for the presence of a great friend I haven't dined with in too too long. Thanks for joining me friend! Please come again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I was very inspired to make this fish entre of Jillians.since I just watched her on Biggest Loser lastnight, and she and Bob are my heros!! Kim and I get a little nutty about them, but we seriously love anyone who can help so many people get healthy and change their lives! The fish was so good, I wish I had made extra. It had so much flavor and yet was so light and fresh tasting. I ended up eating my nephew Bobbies olive and my sons, I think olives are like capers, either you like them, or you dont, there is no inbetween. I loved eating theirs! Ok, now for the fun part- this whole meal cost......$6.74.
    want the breakdown:
    3 tblsp olive oil .60
    1 medium onion .20
    1/4 c dry white wine .25
    3 cloves garlic .40
    8 black olives .50
    1/2 tsp orange zest .10
    4 pieces tilapia $2.52
    2 cups diced tomatoes .98
    frozen asparagus $ 1.19
    and thats all folks.

    ReplyDelete