Friday, October 1, 2010

Tortilla Encrusted Tilapia $4.44


wow! Nine months into the blog! Can you believe it? Kim and I have planned out, shopped, cooked and bloged about roughly 270 dinners, and while we have both shared with eachother and prepared many different foods that have been our individual family traditions, we have also both expiremented with meals that niether of us had tried before. I have to say, we have had relative success in doing so, and at times very pleased pallets of our family/and sometimes friends. That was not the case however with this mexican inspired Tilapia dish I dared to prepare. I had seen a recipe somewhere for Tortilla Encrusted Tilapia, and I couldnt for the life of me remember where, so I went on line and found tons and tons of recipes and kind of incorporated a bunch of ideas in one, and came up with a fish dish that I will never make again. I used cilantro, lime and a small amount of jalepeno, and that was all good, I think, but the problem was the chips. In my quest sometimes to be health, fat and cholesteral concsious, I sacrifice too much. I selected a no fat, no salt, low cholesteral blue chip(not from Aldi) and the chips quite frankly were awful. They did nothing to help the flavor of the fish, infact they had a very strong stale tasting flavor. I barely ate a 1/3 of the fish before scraping off the crust and eating the fish alone. I am not done with the recipe concept and am going to try it again sooner then later, using a chip with some fat and salt. The irony is, I grind up the chips very fine, and I dont even use a lot of chips per fish filet.
True to our promise I will blog the recipe and picture, but I wouldnt reccomend this fish. Oh btw, not even the whipped avocado topping helped this fish.
Ingredients
4 Tilapia Filets(whitefish, orange roughy or red snapper will do) $ 2.64
1 cup crushed tortilla chips(about 40 medium chips)I used no fat blue chips, but non/non fat would be better:) .30
1/4 cup chopped cilantro .20
1/4 cup finely diced jalepeano ..20
1 cup unseasoned bread crumbs.40
1 tbsp cup paprika .10
salt and pepper to taste .10
1/4 cup flour .10
2 limes .40

pat fish with thin coat of flour on both sides. Combine 2nd thru 5th dry ingredient(mix well) coat fish in tortilla/bread crumb combo. Bake in oven at 400 for 10-12 minutes or until fish is flakey to the touch of a fork.
for Avacodo topping
1 medium ripe avocado
1/4 cup sour cream
salt and pepper
in food processor or blender place avacado, sour cream and salt and pepper, blend until smooth and creamy

top on fish

No comments:

Post a Comment