Sunday, August 22, 2010

Grilled Portabella Mushrooms with tomato basil topping

My partner in this blog is fantastic at making bruschetta - so why should I be.  For a number of years I've steered clear of tomatoes because the acid bothered my stomach.  My stomach is older and tougher now (and I'm not as stupid about what I eat), so I thought it time to give the old tomato a try - and what better way than with an awesome bruschetta.  I have the best teacher in all of her town, or so I'm told!




Tomato Basil topped Portabella Mushroom.

4 portabella large mushroom caps
1 to 2 tsp olive oil
4 slices provolone cheese

2 large tomatoes
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp good olive oil
6-10 fresh basil leaves

cut the tomatoes into smaller than bite sized pieces (1/4 to 1/3 inches), slice or mince the garlic, cut the basil into this strips, and combine these ingredients with the oil.  set aside and prepare mushroom caps.

brush both sides of the mushroom cap with your hand or a dry towel to remove any suspect spots or dirt (mushrooms are basically sponges - don't wash them in water because, well, they'll suck it in, and lose their flavor), using a knife, remove the stem down to the dark fluttery things, score the top (smooth) side with a knife about 1/8th inch deep, and brush lightly with olive oil.
Preheat grill to medium hot
Place cap fluttery side down. cook for about 4 minutes
flip the caps and fill with bruschetta.
allow to cook another four minutes, cover with cheese, close grill, heat thoroughly for another minute or so until the cheese melts slightly, remove and serve!

No comments:

Post a Comment