Monday, January 11, 2010

Pasta Primavera Recipe under $ 5.00!!!


This recipe is not only nutritious, delicious, inexpensive, it is also very fast to prepare- hence, earning myself and Kim the title of Fast, Frugal, Fit Foodies.
I can get this dinner on the table in 15 minutes.

Ingredients:
1/2 lb fresh or frozen broccoli- chopped. .80
1/2 lb sliced mushrooms .70
2 carrots cut in small peices lengthwise(kinda like matchsticks).20
1 tblsp chopped garlic.20
2 tblsp olive oil .40
1 jar marinara $1.19
1 lb box of pasta(shape of choice) $ 1.09
1/2 cup parm cheese .40
Total $ 4.98

Bring pot of water to a boil and add pasta noodles(dont forget to add salt to water)
at the same time heat skillet with olive oil medium heat, add garlic, and sautee for a few minutes, add vegetables, toss with spoon to mix mixture together.
After 10 minutes, add pasta sauce, toss together, and cook another 10 minutes on low.
In meantime, noodles probably already ready, drain in collander, put asside. Remove sauce from stove, toss in a large serving bowl with pasta. Serve with parm cheese.(optiona)

2 comments:

  1. Primavera means spring in Italian, which always translates to light and fresh to me. When I started to saute my vegetables, I realized almost immediately that this dish and the fresh vegetables would lose a lot of their own flavors if I combined them with tomato sauce. So.... I omitted the sauce and just added another shot of olive oil and tablespoon of minced garlic. Sorry Kim, I know this was my recipe and you were probably following it, but I went with my gut instinct on this one, and boy was I right. The pasta was light and very flavorful with the different vegetables that were included. One of the best dishes I ever had in Italy was a tagliatelle(wide pasta noodle) agli olio(garlic olive oil) and mushrooms. They added a smidge of parm cheese and red pepper flakes. It was amazing! Sometimes the simplest recipes are the best!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did make the Pasta Primavera as originally posted and both Joe and I really enjoyed it. It was one of those crazy hockey nights where we fed the kids in shifts and Joe and I enjoyed dinner later togehter. Without the tomato I know I would have enjoyed it greatly - and I'll try it sometime with Joe. I did add a little bit of fresh basil to the veggies, and probably could have doubled down again on the garlic... but I'm crazy like that.

    ReplyDelete