Sunday, April 25, 2010

Saturday's Taco Bar ($7.40)

A HUGE favorite around our house is "make your own Taco Bar".  I think it's a combination of lovin' tacos and having the freedom to make them yourself, but the taco bar is a no lose meal for me!  I don't have a single complainer when I way ... taco bar!  I even have lots of help with the cutting and chopping if I'm moving slow enough in the kitchen to allow it.  Really, I throw all the ingredients pictured above (sometimes more) in the middle of our HUGE kitchen table and let them have at it!  We have great discussions because someone is always asking for something to be passed their way!

This time I did have a couple gripes - I forgot to buy black olives - and man oh man, did I hear about it from Jacob.  He LOVES black olives.  And I was a bit disappointed in myself that I had not gotten an avocado somewhere this week - mmm, the avocado has really become one of my favorite foods ... I used to be disgusted by the green gem, but now, bring it, baby!  When I was shopping on Saturday the avocado offerings could have doubled as yard sculptures (ROCKS) they were so hard, and I forgot to request them from any other shopping trips, so my taco was sans avocado!  (this was NOT a personal challenge to see how many times I could use the word Avocado in a paragraph, but I did use it alot, didn't I!)

Anyway, here's my 'secret recipe'!!!

1 package ground turkey ($2.49)
1 package taco seasoning  ($.33)

1 heart of Romaine Lettuce (.63)
1/2 red pepper (.55)
1/2 jar salsa (.75)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese ($1.10)
1/2 cup sour cream (.25)
1 pkg crispy taco shells (we used four from the box - .33)
1 pkg soft shell taco shells (we used six $.66)
1/2 can black beans (.30)

Most people also put fresh tomatoes and black olives in their tacos.  Add in those plus the Avocado and maybe fresh cilantro and you're STILL under $10 for a great taco feast!  Can you go to Taco Bell for less than $10 for four people?  Didn't think so!

(I don't personally eat taco shells - strange issue for me ... here's my solution!  that's a HUGE taco salad with 2 1/2 cups lettuce that packs just 234 calories 16 carbs, 8 fat, and 23 protein)

No comments:

Post a Comment