Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Bruscetta Chicken $6.30


Big running joke in my family amongst Awesome Italian cooks is that my specialty is Bruscetta, which Ive always said, how can anyone not make bruscetta good if fresh tomato, basil, garlic and EVOO is used? I think my theory is correct because I made this chicken lastnight and Michael ate two helpings which is unheard of considering the evil "green" color was on the chicken and he still devoured it. Infact it was so good and easy to make, I made it again today for my friend who is at my house doing some painting. Oh by the way, he snapped the picture of the chicken with his hightech camera, and i snapped a picture as well wioth my not so high tech camera, so I could compare quality of the pictures. I, who have never been very much into taking pictures, have suddenly taken to admiring "food" pictures in magazines, other blogs, cookbooks. I love all the depth an colors that can jump out from a picture, just like I love all the flavors that come out from using different herbs and spices and cooking techniques.

Bruscetta Chicken

4 chicken breasts $3.05
2 medium tomatos diced$1.50
1/4 cup fresh basil chopped.60
3 cloves garlic chopped.15
2 tablespoons olive oil.25
1/4 cup white wine.65
salt and pepper
2 tsp olive oil.10

preheat oven 350
salt and pepper chicken breast
place chicken in bake pan
coat chicken breasts with white wine and olive oil
place in oven and bake for 15 minutes
while chicken baking, mix tomato, basil, garlic and olive oil
evenly top chicken with mixture
make another 15 minutes, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked

I have to say something about chicken. I understand the theories that fresh chicken would taste better or be more moist, because that is how I used to feel. Before, I would never purchase frozen chicken, I thought there had to be a reason that it was so much cheaper then fresh, but when we started this blog and one of our main focuses was to save money, I couldnt escape the glaring difference in price of fresh vs frozen chicken. My local Aldi or Trader Joes has chicken priced at $2.10 per lb, my local grocery store $3.50 pr lb, whole foods $5.50 per lb. Thats a big difference. I think all our chicken dishes have tasted just sa good as they would have with fresh chicken. The difference is in the preparation and ingredients. The ingredients dont have to be expensive either. This chicken dish cost around $6.30 to serve 4 people 4 large chicken breasts! Im digging the saving and unless I find fresh onsale, frozen is the way I am going to go.

1 comment:

  1. Not to mention that alot of people bring their fresh chicken home and freeze it until another time.

    ReplyDelete