Thursday, April 22, 2010

chicken Florentine $5.98


I dont know how I came up with this dish because although it was my idea and Kim and I talked about recipes for this week a week ago, I didnt know much about this recipe, except that it was a chicken dish served with spinach. I started researching it yesterday at about 4:00, and actually had to make it yesterday along side the Chefs salad b/c tonight I wasnt going to be able to. First, I have to say, in my haste to cook and eat and get out the door before 5:30 to get to my sons first baseball game of the season, I didnt realize the memory card was out of my camera(boo hoo!)so no pictures, but I will make the chicken again b/c it was awesome.
I dont know the root of Florentine, I would have assumed Florence Italy, but that is not documented anywhere. I do know it is made with a cream sauce usually or a bechemal sauce, which freaked me out because I dont like using cream, and combined with butter is just scary!! So I scanned the internet and found a recipe where milk is used and not cream, I used 1% milk.
Ingredients:
3/4 bread crumbs .30
1/4 cup parm cheese.20
1 lb frozen spinach $1.19
4 chicken breast$3.15
1/2 medium onion.10
2 tbsp butter.05
2 tbsp flour.05
1 cup milk.15
1 bayleaf(optional).05
salt and pepper
1/2 lb linguine, spaghetti, fettuchine.59
2 tablespoons olive oil.15
garlic salt.05

season chicken with salt and pepper
combine bread crumbs and parm cheese
dip breasts in mixture
arrange chicken in baking
in sauce pan cook onion in butter on low
when onions glassy and soft add flour and milk, stirring constantly until thick, add bayleaf, simmer on low for 10 minutes
add spinach and mix well together
top mixture on chicken breasts
add remaining bread crumb parm mixture
bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is cooked
while chicken is baking boil pasta noodles
drain noodles and toss with olive oil and garlic salt
serve chicken over noodles
Yummo!
brought to you by the fit, and fast frugal foodies.


The Heron's have never made Chicken Florentine before, and I'm not sure I've ever eaten it before either.  Therefore, I didn't really know how to plate it or serve it.  I thought the recipe said to put the spinach on top of the chicken, which I did.  But somehow Barbara got hers flipped before photo-ing it.  Anyway, we did really enjoy it, and will likely partake another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment