Sunday, October 10, 2010

Salad with Beets, Red Onion, Feta Cheese $3.89

If I had to choose the vegetable with the most beautiful color, I would have to say it is the beet. Its fuschia eye popping color, give life to any dish. I have the family that seriously fights over the beets. My neices love beets, and that is amazing because I truly dont think I could tollerate them until way into my 30's. I went through a big juicing faze about 10 years ago, and my favorite drink was carrot/beet(talk about a beautiful color!) I just got tired of all the waste from juicing and so I quit and decided to eat my vegetables and not drink them, but I loved carrot beet juice. Beets are not only beautiful, but incredibly nutritious. They contain high amounts of vitaimin C B1, B2, folate, and iron. They are also extemely high in fiber, and contain iron as well. Eating beets really are a slam dunk in our house, and incredibly economical.
1 Lb Romaine Lettuce $1.40

medium sliced onion .40

1 can 8 oz sliced beets .69

1/4 cup feta cheese .60

1/4 cup olive oil .60

1/8 balsamic vinegar .20


mix olive oil and vinegar

chop salad

add onion, beets and toss with dressing

salt for taste

top with feta cheese (optional)

No comments:

Post a Comment