Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Mandarin Orange Asian Salad $5.63


I have to admit I got my schedule all discombulated(is that how you spell that word?) therefore we had Reuben Soup lastnight to everyones excitement(ymmmoooo! check out previous post) The reason was twofold-I dont throw away food anymore, and I had yet more cornbeef leftover. So in honor of my favorite TV night - Tuesday, Biggest Loser night, I am making two entres- Asian Salad and Risotto con Funghi(mushrooms) I know I have commented on this previously but one of the reasons I love this "project" is that I get to swap ideas, troubleshoot and experiment with my good friend Kim. The Asian salad idea was Kims, but she is overwhelmed with kid things this week thus far, so I am researching and creating both these recipes.
Based on the grocerylist I came up with the dressing last night, so here goes it-

3 cloves garlic .10
2 tablespoonjs olive oil.05
1/2 cup rice vingegar .10
1/2 cup soy sauce .20
2 tablespoons honey .15
1 tsp grated ginger(optional)*
1/4 cup water

combine all ingredients in an empty glass jar
shake well
put in microwave for one minute to disolve honey

For the salad:
preheat oven 350
6 ounces cooked shrimp $1.75
10 ounce can water chestnuts(drained)*
2 cans mandarin oranges .98
1/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds(toasted if you are so inclined),30
10 ounces mixed greens $1.99

toss salad, water chestnuts, oranges and shrimp in a large bowl, toss with desired amount of dressing.
serve
Ive never made this before, but again its a salad, and ive rarely met a salad I didnt like. I would think this salad would be good as well with other vegetables such as brocolli, and definitely chicken.

OK, truth be told, I think the ginger would be awesome in the dressing, but I know I couldnt find it a Aldi, or Trader Joes, and as Kim and most my family and friends know, two stores is like my limit, so I can not tell a lie, my dressing didnt include ginger. I was so fixated on fresh, I didnt even think to look for ground ginger, that would be a great option. Im almost certain Traders carries that. Water Chestnuts, I didnt have any luck on as well, and I truth be told, I just dont like them. So your call, I am thinking Kim will be including them. What are they? are they a nut? I think its the texture I dont like. I am going to reearch them tonight and see what is healthy about them, I am sure they are loaded with something. Good luck and enjoy!!

1 comment:

  1. No, I'm not sure how to spell discombobulated, but whatever you wrote is not right!
    Love ya - sorry I messed up the menu!

    ReplyDelete