Sunday, May 30, 2010

Salmon Patties and Pinapple Mandarin Orange Salsa $5.09


Sunday morning has become the highlight of my "shopping week". First thing I do is grab Sunday paper and comb the ads. Walgreens is my first stop because they have so many great buys and now I feel a further challenge to create recipes. I also have a new rule in my town that I dont drive unless I have to. Exhaust from cars is too damaging to the enviroment, and gas is oh so expensive, and not to mention traffic is tremendous where I live, so consequently, when I can walk or bike to destinations, I do. Walgreens is a 10 minute walk or 3 minute bike ride.


First item I spotted of interest was canned salmon, 15 ounces for $1.99, wow!! thats a steal. Limit 3, so I bought 3, even though I only used one tonight. It was 85 degrees today, and we are definitely grilling. Salmon Patties sounded perfect- loaded with vitamins, omega 3's, easy and cheap. I decided to go with a fruit topping vs a condiment, which would have b .1een an easy go to- mayo, mustard, salsa. Pinapple and mandarin sounded tropical, and refreshing. s
OK, so Im not really working with any "fresh"hebs or produce to make this salsa, but any professionally bottled salsa is usually not produced with fresh produce, and not only that, it is boiled to 400 degrees to secure againsted botulism.
For the Salsa
1 cup mandarin oranges(cut in smaller peices) .50
1 cup pinapple(cut into smaller peices) .99
1/4 cup diced tomatos(drain diced tomto can, and only use tomato peices, no sauce).89
1/4 tsp parsley.05
1/4 tsp lemon juice.10
$2.53
combine all ingredients
For Salmon Patties
1 can Salmon $1.99
1/2 cup bread crumbs(bake two peices ww bread until crisp, and then blend to crumbs).20
1 egg .12
1 tsp parsley .15
1 tsp garlic salt.15
1 tsp paprika.15
combine all inredients and mix in food processor, blender or with a fork
mix until smooth
form into four patties
cook in frying pan-1 tblspoon canola or olive oil
heat skillet on medium, add oil, place patties gently in pan(they are not as sturdy as ground beef or ground turkey)
cook on both sides for 5 minutes or until golden brown
if grilling, place in foil, and grill on both sides for 5-10 minutes
remove and serve with salsa


No comments:

Post a Comment