Saturday, June 5, 2010

Cream of Pea Soup- take two-Walgreens version


So I know I allready made a version of this soup a few months back(Jan or Feb) and it involved many "soup base" items like potatoes, carrots, celery, which obviously when cooking from Walgreens that isnt happening, so the challenge at times is to be able to create something that tastes good without the obvious items.
, so

I wasnt planning on a 85 degree June day to make soup, but while waiting for a perscription and my son and neice were debating which rubberband braclettes to purchase with their $2.00(in change I might add), I perused the staple food aisle at Wags. Staring me in the face was the canned peas, and I thought instantly of Pasta Carbonara with Peas, but I want to save that for a night when Michael is home, and tonight he had a baseball playoff game. I spotted the chicken broth next, and it hit me how much my brother likes cream of pea soup, and I didnt look any further.

I grabbed 2 cans of peas, a can of chicken broth. I had at home all the spices I could need and if I decided to make the soup non vegan, I had bacon left over from my bacon wrapped dates.

Upon examing my spiced, I decided to use dried onion, garlic salt, pepper, and the bacon was a go go.

I thought all and all the soup came out good.

ingredients and recipe:

2 cans canned peas $3.98

1 can chicken broth .99

1 tsp dried onion

2 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp black pepper

2 strips of bacon

1 tsp olive oil
(salt)

cook bacon in skillet, discard 3/4 bacon grease
in soup pot add all ingredients, including bacon and grease
heat on medium for 15-20 minutes, stirring so nothing sticks to bottom of pan
remove from heat, let cool 10 minutes
pour entire content of soup pot in food proccessor or blender
blend until smooth and creamy
pour back in soup pot and heat another 10 minutes
serve



w

No comments:

Post a Comment