Monday, February 15, 2010

Monday Southwestern Chopped Salad $4.65


This is one of my favorite salads to order when eating out, and I am thinking an easy salad to make, so I am going to give it a shot. At a local restaurant where I order the salad everytime I dine there, they get $12.95 for this salad and that is without chicken or shrimp. My challenge is the dressing, I think it is some form of Ranch, but something else is added to it to give it a southwestern bite. Im going to try some taco seasoning mix.
I'll let you know how it tastes.

Southwestern Chopped Salad  ($4.65)
1 lb romaine lettuce ($1.79)
1 cup black beans (.35)
1 cup corn (.50)
1 cup red peppers(diced) ($1)
1 cup broken tortilla chips (.30)
1 cup ranch dressing ($.60)

chop salad, add beans, corn, peppers, chips and dressing. toss together and serve.

Chicken, shrimp, beef, avoacodo, tofu, onion, tomato, all optional
~~~
Let me beat Barbara to the punch ... MMMMmmmm so good.  Refreshing and totally hit the spot for dinner tonight!  We added chicken and used the following dressing: 

Homemade Southwestern Ranch Dressing
1 cup Fit & Active Reduced Fat Ranch Dressing
2 Tablespoons StoneMill Essentials Taco Seasoning Mix (.11)

Stir to thoroughly combine ingredients - cover and refrigerate for a minimum 15 minutes to combine flavors.  A good solution to the dressing issue - use in the salad in place of the ranch dressing Barbara's described above!

I'm adding no cost on the chicken breast as I had froze it after making that chicken noodle soup a few weeks ago.  Probably if I were to put a price on it (as in freshly prepared frozen chicken), I'd go with $1.05 for a half pound of chicken.
~K
P.S. I can't wait to see Barbara's picture to see what the restaurant version looks like compared to mine!

1 comment: