Sunday, October 3, 2010

Southwestern Blackbean Soup $4.35


Kim and I make this Southwestern salad that I absolutely love! It is absolutely in my top 10 faves of the past year, and when I have an opportunity to make the salad ie if Im having a party, or going to a pot luck dinner, I always bring the salad because in this year of blogging we cant have any repeats for dinner, and its a rule we are trying to stick to, but I really enjoy this salad, so I find reasons to make it. So when I stumbled accross this recipe for Southwestern blackbean soup and noted many like ingredients, I was sold. We made black bean soup a few weeks back, but this version is very different, the corn added to the beans gives the soup a much chunkier stew like consistency and the taco mix kicks up the flavors a notch and gives it the southwestern flair. Cheese and/or sour cream optional, but not necessary, the soup is that good on its own.

2 cans Black Beans 15 ounces(drained) $1.38
1 can corn 15 ounces .69
1 can diced tomato 15 ounces .69
1 can chicken broth low sodium .89
1 tablespoon olive or canola oil .30
2 tsp dried onion .20
1 tablespoon taco mix.15
pepper .05

heat oil in soup pot on low
add onion, saute a few minutes
add broth, one can beans, taco mix, and saute 5 minutes
in food processor blend 1 can beans and tomato until it is a smooth, thick puree
add to soup, add pepper to taste
bring to boil, and simmer for 30 minutes

Divide into 8 bowls and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment