Saturday, October 30, 2010

Cuban Panini




What is a Cuban panini? good question. Upon much research, this sandwich definitely exists, and I found many recipes for it. A few consistent ingredients were mustard and pickles. The meat varied between, Ham, Turkey, Roast Beef and Chicken., and the cheese varied as well between provolone, swiss, mozarella to name a few. This sandwich originated in Cuba, and the laborers would eat them for lunch. The bread of choice was usually ciabatta or French bread, but we are going with good old whole wheat. I think what makes the sandwhich stand out most is the pickles. I dont know if I have ever put a pickle in a sandwich before, but I loved the crunch. This is my first attempt at a Cuban Panini, but I am certain there will be other attempts and different ingredients used. But for now, my first attempt at a Cuban Panini was a success.

Ingredients
8 slices whole wheat bread
8 slices ham
4 slices cheese of choice
2 tablespoons mustard
4 medium dill pickles sliced lengthwise in 4 pieces each

spray each piece of bread lightly with cooking oil, or butter
On four pieces of bread spread 1/2 tablespoon mustard
layer bread with two slices of ham each, next layer with slice of cheese each, finally top each with slices of pickle, close with bread

cook on panini maker until cheese is melted, or place in skillet with lid, cook on each side 2 minutes or until the cheese is melted, or bake in oven aon cookie sheet

No comments:

Post a Comment