Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Crepe Lasagna

I cant pinpoint when, but I would guess about 15 years ago one of the amazing chefs in my family realized that if lasagna was make with crepes, it would be so much lighter(not to mention easier to make) we usually made the noodles the traditional way with eggs and flour. Crepes are made with eggs and flour as well, but it is a liquid batter vs a heavy dough. Lasagna dough is heavy and dry because it needs to go through a machine that flattens it into strips, crepes are light and airy, made with a combo of egg, flour and milk. I had never made lasagna with crepes, but I had enjoyed it many, many times because my grandma, mom, sister inlaw, aunts have all converted to making the pasta dish that way. So the other day when I was following my fellow cooking bloggers recipe for sweedish pancakes, I decided while I had the frying pans going, I would make up some crepes for Lasagna. I omited the sugar, but followed the recipe just the same, and a base for my Lasagna was born.
here is the crepe recipe again, minus the sugar
3 eggs
1 3/4 cup milk
1 cup flour
1 tsp salt


mix all in blender
heat pans a little spray of oil, pour in batter and let cook, occasionally moving sides with spatula,
when crepe is easy to move in pan, flip(although I cant flip them in the air....yet) I just use my fingers and flip, and cook on otherside for another minute

depending on pan and how thick you make your crepes, you should have between 8-12 cr epes
I made 10

for sauce:
bottled marinara will do
I make a simple sauce using ingredients from my local convenient store

1 cans tomato sauce
1 can diced tomato
2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp dried onion
salt and pepper to taste
in sauce pan combine all ingredients, and simmer for 30-45 minutes

filling:
10 ounces cottage cheese
2 egg whites
tablespoon dried parsley
salt and pepper
combine in blender or food processor

to make lasagna
take a 9 x 9 pan or similar
spoon out a layer of sauce on bottom of pan
layer bottom with three crepes
top with sauce and cottage cheese mixture
layer again with three more crepes, sauce and cottage cheese
again, making sure to use up all the cottage cheese
on top layer just layer with sauce, shredded mozarella, and a sprinkle or parm cheese
bake at 300 for 40 minutes
remove and let stand atleast 15 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment