Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Babyback Ribs $ 12.30



I am making this entres for the second time in my life, and I am a bit nervous about it because I made ribs once ever, and that was to enter into a competition in my hometown. It is a contest that is held every September, and tons and tons of people compete. Men(usually men) show up hours early to the park, and park their BBQ's-gas, electric, small, huge, expensive, cheap....its evolved into a massive competion where people come from all over the area to hang out for the night, eat, drink, dance and grill. I thought it would be an incredible feat in and of itself to just drag my grill to the park, set up tables, chairs, provide drinks, appetizers, dessert and ofcourse prepare ribs for competion, what I never dreamed of was coming in second. That is second place out of 40+ contestants mostly male. The most ironic catch to the story is I dont like ribs and havent eaten them in even once in 25 years, but I researched techniques and combined a bunch, and came up with this recipe. I will say though, and I can say this from being a winner in the rib game, the name of the game with ribs is slow cooking and technique. Here is the award winnin recipe:
1 tablespoon cumin .15
1 teaspoon paprika.05
1 tablespoon garlic salt.15
1/2 cup brown sugar.25
mix all spices and sugar together thoroughly

1 slab babyback ribs $10.00

work in the rub all over the ribs, making sure to cover the ribs entirely
place on bake pan and slow bake at 250 for 2 hours

1 1/2 cup BBQ sauce .70
1/2 cup red wine .40
in sauce pan on low heat reduce redwine
when reduced, combine with 2 cups BBQ sauce and bring to boil, brush on BBQ sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment