Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Swedish Pancakes

This recipe comes from one of my BFFs who makes these regularly for her family. Since getting the recipe from her about 6 years ago, I've become a frequent maker as well! They are time consuming, and you don't necessarily get to sit down for that real homey meal feel - BUT, if your family takes pride in making their own meal, and eating it better because of it - then this is a GREAT breakfast for dinner type of meal!

Swedish Pancakes
3 eggs (I usually use 1 egg and 3 egg whites)
1 3/4 cup milk
1 cup flour (sometimes I do 1/2 whole wheat, 1/2 white flour)
1 tsp salt
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tbsp oil

in a blender, mix eggs and milk. Add flour and salt, sugan arn oil, then blend until smooth. Pour about 2 tbsp in preheated pan 7 inch frying pan and cook over medium heat.

Basically, you're making crepes - I use two small 7 or so inch frying pans and cook multiple pancakes at a time

I fill, wait for the pancake to be totally set, then use a silicone scraper to gently loosen the pancake, then flip the pancake in the air (yet another reason my kids LOVE these! flying food!).
We fill our pancakes with the following:
Blueberries and/or Strawberries
Lingonberry Jam and/or Triple berry Jam
Coconut
Whip Cream
Vanilla Yogurt
I've made other fillings, and the kids have enjoyed, but this is our "basic, go to fillings" list. I have the kids fill theirs, then we cut them - much as they might like to pick them up and eat them "taco style", that isn't happening, so it's cut up breakfast for them!

You can see that I have both rolled them (crepe style) and folded them (Swedish Restaurant style). Suite yourself - it kinda depends on what you're serving with them - the Swedish Restaurant style is easier, and goes best with just syrup and a small pile of lingonberry jam (we get our Lingonberry Jam at IKEA).

No comments:

Post a Comment