Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Fettucini Bolognese(meat sauce) $5.68



Bolognese is a meat based sauce originating from the city of Bologna, Italy. There are many versions of this sauce, that always includes ground beef, but may also include pork, pork sausage, chicken, mushrooms and many other ingredients. It is also not strange to see milk added to recipe or butter, to give it a richer creamy texture and flavor. My family perfers a very basic, traditional recipe, which is made with very few ingredients, but packs a very robust, hearty flavor.

I don't think I ever saw my grandmother or mother use a recipe or a measuring cup or spoon when making thier bolognese, but I am going to, so hopefully others who arent comfortable cooking without a recipe,can enjoy this bologna tradition.

1/2 lean ground beef $3.05
1/1/2 tablespoon olive oil .25
1/4 medium size onion .20
1/2 carrot .10
1 jar prepared marinara .99
salt and pepper
1 lb Fettuchine .99
$5.68

mince carrot and onion. Heat olive oil in deep pot, add onion and carrot, and saute until onions are translucent. Add gound beef and saute until brown.
Add prepared sauce, and salt and pepper.
simmer for 1-2 hours.
Boil noodles, toss with sauce when boiled. Add fresh parmesean cheese.

Any Pasta noodle will work, however it is thought that the meat sauce grabs the noodle best when paired with an egg noodle.
I added some red wine(1/2 wine glass) into the sauce while I was cooking, I thought it was appropriate since I was having a glass with my mom in honor of my lovely Dad and his birthday, and he truly loved his red wine, and decided to give the sauce a little kick. It was perfect. Red wine by no means necessary, but a nice option.

No comments:

Post a Comment