Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Green Chili!

Oh, this is so good.  I made it for the first time about a year ago and froze extras in 1 cup containers - then I hid them from Joe so I could have it!  Is that bad?  Don't tell him :-)  Really, I do love this chicken based chili and have been waiting a long time to share it with you.

I know you will find this hard to believe, but really, I did find Hominy in a 28 ounce can AT ALDI a few weeks back!  I hope you were able to find it too!  It was only like 90 cents or something, which makes me EVEN HAPPIER!  I do hope you enjoy this soup/chili as much as I do!

8 cups chicken broth
1 onionk finely chopped
2 lbs chicken breast (approx)
2 cans green chilies
6 cloves minced garlic
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/2 tsp ground cumin (or more :-) )
1 28 ounce can white hominy, drained

1 cup Aldi's fresh salsa - or a cup of diced tomatoes
1/2 cup sour cream

in a large pot, combine chicken broth, onion and chicken breasts.  Heat to boiling over high heat - reduce heat to low and simmer until the chicken is no longer pink - about 20 minutes (this is called poaching!).  Remove chicken from broth with a couple forks or something - you're saving the juice!  Set the breasts aside to cool.

Add chilies, garlic, cilantro, cumin, and hominy.  Heat over low heat - simmering for a while!

when the chicken is cool, shred it by pulling two forks across the meat.  Add the meat back to the broth and simmer for about 40 minutes longer.

Spoon a portion of soup/chili into a bowl - a portion is about 1 1/4 cups.  Top with 2 Tbsp salsa or diced tomatoes and 1 Tbsp sour cream.

If you want some add'l carbs, serve a corn or flour tortilla alongside.  you can also make "chips" of the tortilla and dip them.  
MMMMM.

No comments:

Post a Comment