Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Chicken Cacciatore(Hunters Stew) $7.67


Here is an old family favorite, dating back to my childhood. I am using basically the same ingredients as my Mom did, however, I am changing the preparing/cooking process.
My Moms recipe called for a can of tomato paste and tomato sauce, that is simmered on the stove with olive oil, and fresh garlic, salt and pepper etc... I don't always have time for that, so my recipe calls for a jar of my favorite marinara. Also, she usually sauteed the whole meal on the stove, I am opting to bake it all in a baking dish.

Chicken Cacciatore
4 Chicken breasts $3.00
1 Red Pepper sliced .80
1/2 medium onion sliced .20
1 lb mushrooms sliced $1.39
1 Jar 26 oz marinara .99
1/4 cup white wine (optional).30
1/2 linguine or spaghetti .99
Total $ 7.67

Preheat oven to 350.
Combine all ingredients in a baking dish and add marinara and salt and pepper
bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until chicken is fully cooked. Serve over cooked pasta.

Calories: 426 (with a full serving (56 dry oz) of Whole Wheat Pasta)
Fat: 3 grams
Carbs: 56 grams (the pasta is LOADED with carbs!)
Protein: 39 grams

2 comments:

  1. Actually I love chicken in all recipe.Here you post some really different and spicy recipe of chicken!I just note in my notepad.And now I want to make it soon because it is just mouth watering from start of reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMM... I threw the raw chicken, marinara, peppers, onions and mushrooms in my big skillet together. Turned the heat to medium, covered it, and let it go for 15 minutes without even looking at it. Then I removed the cover and reduced the heat to medium low. Let it simmer another 15 minutes. I can't even begin to explain how yummy it was. All of the veggies picked up the flavors of something else, and the marinara, which is good on its own, picked up flavors from everything else as well. YUMMY, and totally a repeat recipe!

    ReplyDelete